Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Block 1 - A Braid Substitute

My stash of braids and such is still small and I didn't have anything that would look good on this block. As I was paging through my ever-present copy of Treasury of Crazy Quilt Stitches (by Miss Carole Samples), I found a solution to my problem. The green band on the lower seam is called a laced, stepped double-running stitch (p. 144) and I think that it is a great substitute for the braid I didn't have. I am very pleased with the result of my experiment. The running stitches were done with silk buttonhole twist and the lacing with Perle Cotton 5.

Just above and to the left is a seam of alternating blanket stitches. I know that some of my seams look a bit plain at the moment, but beads, buttons and other goodies tend to catch the embroidery threads at just the wrong times (very frustrating to me) so they will not be added until all of the embroidery is completed.

Today's chocolate is left over Halloween snack bars. No wisdom there, just calories.

No comments: